Sunday, 6 September 2015

Earth Balance Vegan Aged White Cheddar Flavour Popcorn

I will start by saying I am not a popcorn fan. However, the only popcorn I have ever tried has been of the sweet variety, so I thought I would give this a go.
I was given this as a gift by someone who had just got back from Canada, so did not buy this myself. Apparently this product used to be available in Tesco, but I can’t see it listed any more so they may have stopped stocking it. Doing a quick search online I can only find it available in bulk to buy in the UK. If you are desperate to try it you can always ask your local health food store to see if their supplier carries the product and ask them to order some in if so.
On to the review!

Ingredients: Popcorn, expeller pressed sunflower oil, maltodextrin, salt, onion powder, sugar, garlic powder, lactic acid, citric acid, yeast extract, natural flavour.
Packaging: One of those hard to open packages that you start off pulling gently and end up yanking and getting covered in the contents of bag. At least I know they’re fresh!
First Impression: Smells cheesy! Expected popcorn to be covered in flavour powder like cheesy corn puffs are, but it was surprisingly nude! This may mean it doesn’t have much flavour. Let’s give it a go!
Taste: Wow. Hang on, let me just have another to check. Yup. Third time lucky! Mmmm. Just one more just to make sure…Nice strong cheese flavour not unlike Quavers. I could actually eat this. Pretty moreish actually!
Texture: Bearing in mind the bag that I tried had been open and placed in a tupperware box, and I didn’t actually get around to trying them for a day or two, the product tasted fresh and had not softened, but obviously did not have the crunch that covering them in toffee/sugar coating would give. I thought the texture went quite well with the taste.
Overall View: Pretty good product. If you like popcorn and cheese you’re onto a winner!
Would I Buy Again? No, probably not. If it was between this and a bag of crisps the crisps would win hands down.
Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment