Monday, 24 August 2015

Oko Bay and Jollyum Non Dairy Ice Cream Review

I am always on the lookout for a non dairy dessert that somehow manages to beat the incredible standards that Swedish Glace have set.

It is now 10.04 on a Monday morning, so what better time to try the latest batch I managed to source at Holland and Barrett.

First up we have Oko Bay, in both coconut and chocolate.

   

I was very excited when I found these – mainly because H&B had run out of Swedish Glace again. 
First the chocolate flavour.

Ingredients: coconut milk 42%, water, cane sugar, chicory root fibre, cocoa powder 3%, coconut oil 2%, stabiliser (guar gum, locust bean gum, xanthan gum), natural flavouring.

First Impression: Solid! You need to leave it out of freezer before you can scoop. Or get an ice pick if you just can’t wait. Smells suitably chocolatey.

Taste: First hit I get caramel, followed by chocolate, followed by a tang of coconut. Rather nice.

Texture: Once slightly thawed becomes easy to scoop. Turns into a mousse like consistency in mouth. Reminds me of the nougat part of a Mars bar. Are they still called Mars? I am so not down with the kids.

Score: 8/10.

Coconut next!

Ingredients: coconut milk 42%, water, cane sugar, chicory root fibre, coconut oil 2%, stabiliser (guar gum, locust bean gum, xanthan gum), natural flavouring.

First Impression: Kind of smells like cream cheese!

Taste: Hmm. Not a huge fan of this. Tastes like coconut water, which is great if you’re a fan of coconut water. Sadly I’m not. If you are, you are going to love it. Has a strange hit of almond at the end. Maybe that’s just me.

Texture: Doesn’t have the fluffy texture the chocolate does. Becomes more liquid.

Score: 5/10

Bonus Round: Pop a spoonful of each in your mouth at the same time to make your very own Bounty non dairy ice! Genius!

Next up, Jollyum Non-Dairy Indulgence



Ingredients: Soya extract (water, skinned soya beans), unrefined sugar, sunflower oil, cocoa (3%), chocolate (2%)(cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, emulsifier:sunflower lecithin), emulsifier:soya lecithin, stabiliser:xanthan gum, sea salt

First Impression: Another solid until defrosted for 5 mins job. Smells like chocolate. I think I can see chocolate chips in it. This excites me.

Taste: Chocolatey, and does indeed have chocolate chips in it. Flavour a little watery. Nice enough though. 

Texture: Disappointingly watery and a little powdery. Saving grace is the chocolate chips.

Score: 7/10 Still no match for Swedish Glace!

There we go. I do all this so you don’t have to. Just call me St Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment